I fell in love with Cracker Barrel Pumpkin Custard with Ginger Snaps.  It is a creamy custard with a gingersnap topping and a dolloop of caramel whipped cream.  The flavors worked so well together that I decided to make a cupcake with the same flavor combination.
Pumpkin cupcakes
Here are my Cracker Barrel inspired mini cupcakes……

I made these mini cupcakes for a chamber coffee that our park hosted.  They are so delicious and easy to make.

Cake

• Favorite yellow cake mix
  • 1 box Pumpkin Pie Pudding Mix
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place pumpkin pudding mix and cake mix in a mixing bowl.  Add egg, oil, and water according package and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Pour into lined cupcake tins and bake according to package direction.  (Usually 18-20 minutes for regular size cupcakes and 14-16 minutes for mini cupcakes)  Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting

• 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
  • 1 tsp Caramel Flavoring
  • 1/2 Cup Caramel Topping
  • 1/4 Cup Milk or Water
  • 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
Mix shortening, caramel topping, caramel flavoring, and milk with an electric mixer on low speed.   Alternately add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.  You may need to add more milk or water to achieve correct consistency.

Sprinkle with crushed gingersnap cookies if desired.
Makes 24 cupcakes or 48-60 mini cupcakes.

featured at:

Nap-Time Creations      Ginger Snaps

Shared with

Adorned From Above, At the Picket Fence, Balancing Beauty & BedlamBe Different Act Normal, The Blackberry Vine, Blessed with Grace, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Coastal Charm,  Chef in Training, The Chicken ChickThe Country Cook, Craft Envy,  Crafty Confessions, Crazy for Crust, A Creative Princess,  Crystal and Company, DIY Crafty Projects, DIY Showoffs, Everyday Mom’s MealsFinding Fabulous, Flamingo Toes, French country Cottage, Fresh Eggs Daily, The Frugal Girls, Frugally Sustainable, Funky Junk Interiors, Funky Polkadot Giraffe, Gingersnap Crafts,The Gunny Sack, Homemaker on a Dime,  Homestead Revival, Hope Studios,  Hungry Little Girl,I Heart Naptime, Inside Brucrew Life, It’s so very Cheri, Jam Hands,Keeping It Simple, Lady Behind the Curtain, Ladybird Lane, Ladybug Blessings, Lil Luna,  Lovely Crafty Home,Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms,  Making the World Cuter, Mandy’s Recipe Box, Marvelously Messy, Mommy Sweet Confessions, Moms Crazy Cooking,  Mrs Happy HomemakerMy Romantic Home,  Naptime Creations, Nifty Thrifty Things, Not just a HousewifeOne She Two She, Petite Hermine,Project Inspire, Sew can Do,  Raising Homemakers, Reasons to Skip the Housework, The Rustic Pig, Sew Many Ways, Sew Much Ado, Shine your Light, Simple Home Life, Simply Designing,Simply Sweet Home, Six Sisters’ Stuff,Skip to my Lou, Someday Crafts, Sugar Bee Crafts, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Sweet as Sugar Cookies, Tater Tots and Jello,  Thirty Handmade Days, Time Warp Wife, Todays Creative Blog, Trendy Treehouse, Uncommonly Yours, Under the Table and Dreaming, A Vision to Remember,We are that Family, Whipperberry,Young and Crafty

29 Responses to Cracker Barrel Inspired~ Pumpkin Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting and Sprinkled with Gingersnaps Crumbles

1. Krista says:

I had this custard a couple weeks ago and it was AMAZING! What a great tribute you’ve done! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Love seeing new faces. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

2. Jenn says:

I had no idea I could just add a box of pudding to a cake mix and make it the same way. I’ll have to give it a try since I have that pudding in my pantry right now!

3. Laurie says:

I love making mini cupcakes for parties – these would be great for a fall gathering. Caramel frosting sounds wonderful and easy to make! Thanks so much for the recipe. I’ll be pinning this!

4. These look awesome and great photo. A nice, easy recipe but it looks like you fussed a lot….over here from Cast Party Wednesday

5. Great recipe. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party and would love to have you share this with everyone. Here is the link to the party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

6. They look so lovely!
    I would love to have you share this or any other recipe of yours at Wednesday Extravaganza – my Foodie Link Party with the chance to get a lifetime feature on my Wall of Fame! Here is the link:

Can’t wait to see you there!

7. They are beautiful and mouthwatering. I really want to make them now. I have pinned this for later! I found you on sew can do!

8. Miz Helen says:

Oh my goodness, what a special cupcake, it looks fabulous! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

9. Mandy says:

These look amazing! Thanks for linking up on Totally Tasty Tuesdays.

10. Emily says:

oh my… I’m drooling just looking! Could there be a better combo?? Thank you for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations! I really appreciate each person who takes the time to come by and link up. I’m getting the features organized for the next party and YOU will be featured :o) Hope you will stop by and grab a featured button if you want. I’ve already posted this to my pinterest and facebook and the party link will be live Monday night as always. http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/11/some-fall-baking-tasteful-tuesday-party.html

11. Winnie says:

WOWWWW These are really amazing
    They look like you spent hours making them!
    Mouth-watering photos

12. You had me at ‘caramel.’ ☺
    Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

13. Jocelyn says:

Those sounds so delicious! The frosting sounds like the perfect one to just eat by the spoonful:-)

14. Mariel says:

I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on through tomorrow night at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

15. Thanks so much for sharing at last Wednesday’s Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is live. The link to the party is
    Can’t wait to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

16. Julie says:

These look amazing! May I ask, what type/brand of camera are you using? I’m in the market for a new one. I want something that takes great photos, including in low light areas.

Thank!

• Julie, My camera is a Canon 60d. I use either the lens it came with (18-135mm) or my 50mm lens. The 50mm is better in low light but they both work pretty good. I have done a lot of research on food photography and have seen some great shots taken with much cheaper point and shoot cameras using refelctive light. I’m still in the learning stages !

17. Miz Helen says:

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving!
    Miz Helen

18. Kim says:

where can I buy Pumpkin Pie Pudding Mix? Was not at my grocery store, and I even Googled a picture to see what it looked like and came up with nothing. Is it a JELLO pudding mix box?

• Kim…I purchased my pudding mix at Walmart. It is Jello brand and it was in the area where they put all of the thanksgiving baking goods and was next to the cans of pumpkin. It was not in the aisle where you find the regular pudding mix. I have made these several times and have purchased the pudding mix in various walmarts but each time they were in the center aisle with the seasonal items.

• Kim says:

ok, thank you so much! I will check at Wal Mart. I really appreciate you sharing this recipe– I’m excited to make these! I’m sorry to bug…just one more thing: I couldn’t find caramel flavoring either…where did you purchase that?

• I used Watkins imitation caramel extract. It was in with the other flavors (vanilla, banana, etc) at Walmart. I have another recipe on my blog where I make cupcakes using caramel macchiato coffee creamer (caramel macchiato cupcakes). Here is the link if you are interested http://sweetsouthernblue.blogspot.com/2012/09/caramel-macchiato-cupcakes.html It is super easy to make and would be great with the pumpkin cupcakes. You could also leave the caramel flavoring out. I just wanted a stronger caramel taste but you may prefer just using the caramel topping or leave out the topping and just use the flavoring. Hope that helps.

19. Gorgeous photos! The cupcakes look so yummy!

20. katie says:

Hi,
    Just wondering if you have a recommendation of a ginger snap cookie to use and how much to use?
    Thanks

• admin says:

I buy the cheap ones at Walmart. I think they are around $1 a box. I don’t remember the brand though.

• Katie says:

Where are you finding these ingredients? Pumpkin pie pudding mix and caramel flavoring do not exist at normal grocery stores.